Monday 7 September 2020

Return to School: MFM2P - Day 1

 It's lunchtime so I'm going to quickly get my thoughts down:

Misses:

Bathroom record - sanitize hands, write down your name and time out on the whiteboard, when you return sanitize your hands and then record your time back in.

Break time - go outside, walk around, stay at least 6 feet apart and take off your mask. You aren't allowed to leave school grounds.

Hits:

We went over the Covid protocols as they stand for now, establishing some new schedules and routines as we went along (bathroom location, scheduled start, break, and finish times).

As a warmup I started with an 11x17 problem:

- draw an 11x17 rectangle on grid paper

- fill it with as few squares as possible

I modelled an example that took 8 squares, and challenged them to do better. Most were able to fill it with 7. When asked if 6 was possible, most felt it wasn’t because of the odd dimensions. So, I asked them to try it with a 12x18 which many were able to fill with only 3 squares.

Students were reissued their Chromebooks which gave us a chance to connect to Google Classroom and Knowledgehook. To finish, I gave them the “Cutting Metal Task” in Google Slides courtesy of Fawn Nguyen...I just changed the units to imperial as a lead in to our first unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment